Chances to get into the holiday spirit abound in Albany, Oregon! Here are some of this week’s top holiday events:
Tuesday, Dec. 2:
- Storytime with Santa: Heritage Mall kicks off December with the first in their series of Storytime with Santa events. Every Tuesday at 10 a.m., from Dec. 2-16, bring kids to Santa’s workshop in Heritage Mall for a chance to meet the big guy in red and hear a holiday story. Storytime is free; photos with Santa are available for purchase.
Thursday, Dec. 4:
- “Peace and Wonder” Choral Concert: Hear Linn-Benton Community College’s award-winning choirs in concert at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 4 at the Russell Tripp Performance Center. Call 541-917-4531 for tickets and info.
Friday, Dec. 5:
- Christmas Storybook Land: This annual hand-crafted winter wonderland opens its doors on Friday, Dec. 5. Take the family out to the Linn County Fair & Expo Center to wander past dozens of storybook scenes, detailed doll houses and exquisite model trains. Stop at the end to get a candy cane and visit with Santa. Free. Open Dec. 5-19, from 6:30-8:30 p.m. on weeknights and 10-8:30 p.m. on weekends. Don’t miss this classic Albany family tradition.
- “Trails, Tribulations and Christmas Decorations” at Albany Civic Theater: Go see opening night of this Christmas comedy at the Albany Civic Theater downtown. 541-967-8140 for tickets and info.
Saturday, Dec. 6:
- Free Family Movie at The Pix: The Albany Downtown Association and the Pix Theatre are teaming up to offer a free holiday movie this Saturday, Dec. 6. Grab your loved ones and some tissues and head downtown to see the classic, heartwarming 1947 version of “Miracle on 34th Street,” about a little girl who doesn’t believe in Santa Claus and the real Kris Kringle who sets out to change her mind. Doors open at 1:30 p.m., showtime is 2 p.m. Free.
Sunday, Dec. 7:
- Downtown Twice Around Christmas Parade: Bring the whole family to Albany’s fun and quirky downtown Christmas parade this Sunday evening, Dec. 7, at 5 p.m. Anyone who wants to can join in the parade, which loops around Albany’s historic downtown twice. Expect to see drill teams in Santa hats dancing with umbrellas, floats decked out in holiday lights, and Santa himself at the end of the parade.
- Albany Community Tree Lighting: Immediately after the parade, gather with the community at the corner of Ferry and Second streets, in the parking lot of the Two Rivers Market, for the lighting of the giant fir tree on the corner.
For even more holiday events–yes, there are even more what’s described above!–check out the Albany Visitors Association’s full events calendar. It’s the best place to find out everything happening in our community. Don’t see your favorite holiday event? Comment and let us know! Stay tuned for next week, when we’ll give you a second edition of Albany Christmas Favorites.