Downtown First Avenue at Christmastime by Dan Bateman
Grab a cup of cocoa and make some memories on a festive drive this week–based on the nominations from this year’s Night Time Magic holiday light contest, we’ve put together a list of the best holiday lights in Albany! (Plus the folks from last previous years who are still going over the top on decking the halls).
Click here to be directed to our map of the best light displays around Albany!
If you know of more spots that should be included on a best holiday lights list, e-mail or leave us a comment and let us know!
- Best Dressed Historic Home – Sharing the Magic of Christmas Inside and Out: 627 Broadalbin SW, Albany OR 97321. (northeast corner of Broadalbin and 7th).
This home is dressed to the nines! Those who attended the 35th Annual Christmas Parlour Tour, which featured this home, can attest that these homeowners provide lovely decor both inside and out.
- Even Robots Love Christmas: 4160 Evergreen St. SE, Albany OR 97322.
This display is complete with Santa, Mickey, a puppy, and our new favorite: a crazy Christmas robot. Be sure to drive by for a giggle and a smile.
- Christmas Creations Brighten the Night: 2110 Geary Street SE, Albany OR 97322.
This home is known year-round for the Pink Elephant out front, but we’re equally delighted with the Christmas cut-outs and the way every inch is lit up to create a bright and happy display.
- “A” for Effort, Pulling Out All the Stops: 2670 Kingston Way NW, Albany OR 97321 (corner of San Pedro Way NW and Kingston Way NW).
A beacon of lights flashing will guide your way to this most festive of all holiday light displays. Tune your radio to the custom radio station displayed on the sign in the front yard, and watch a light show that’s timed to the music and special effects you hear.
- Best Neighborly Effort: Washington Street Houses on the 600 block — 632, 633 and 624 Washington St. SW.
We have it on good authority that these folks pooled their resources to help newer neighbors really shine bright during the holidays. There is truly magic in the making of a community.
- Best Commercial Effort: Downtown First Avenue SW Sidewalk Trees and Snowflakes.
First Avenue has really taken on a new life with the magic of light. Volunteer efforts steered by the Albany Downtown Association Design Committee have led the way to brightening up Albany’s downtown during the holidays.
Want even more festive spots to admire? Here’s a list of previous year’s winners to admire:
- 514 NE 13th Ave.
- Santa on the Rooftop (downtown display best viewed from the Ellsworth Bridge and/or Water Avenue)
- 800 block of 5th Avenue SW
- 630 Seventh Ave SW
- 1001 Washington St. SW
- 1830 12th Avenue SW
- 3407 Pacific Blvd SW (Burcham’s Metals)
- 6127 Piedmont Place SW (this entire street goes all out!)
- 4295 Clay Place SE
- 730 Washington St. SW
- 425 6th Ave SW
- 2893 Mountain View Dr. SE
- 1340 NE Mayview Drive
Where are your favorite Albany holiday light spots? Comment and let us know!
Any Updates for 2022?
Our 2022 contest is ongoing. We expect to have the list of participants available by December 12. Please see this link for more information
Albany Visitors Association