1400 Santiam Rd SE
Albany, OR 97321
Celebrate the Cumberland’s 131st birthday! Join the Community Events Center for music, birthday cake and a little bit of history. The steeple has been reinstalled, and the building is one step closer to being fully restored. This event is part of Albany’s celebration of National History Preservation Month.
History of the Cumberland
The Cumberland Church building has been a part of Albany for 130 years. The church was built in 1892 by the Cumberland Presbyterians, a progressive branch of the Presbyterian Church. When it was dedicated on May 5, 1892, it was a rectangular, one room meeting-style church. The building was moved to its new home on the corner of Santiam and Pine on October 17, 2021. The new address is 1400 Santiam Road SE. Once restoration is complete, the Cumberland would offer educational and enrichment programs for children and families, provide a facility for the arts, education, recreation, celebration and locally-based activities, and invite groups, both public and private, to rent the building for events. Read more about the history of the Cumberland at AlbanyCumberland.org.
Photo: “Cumberland Steeple Removal” by Dan Bateman