Note: All stories/sections of the online version of “Seems Like Old Times” are in PDF format, and can be read online by clicking on the links below, or downloaded for reading off-line by clicking on the READ MORE links & pulling down on the menu to “Save Link As” (or “Save Target As…”). A complete copy of “Seems Like Old Times” may be viewed/downloaded from this link. The download is approximately 6.5MB.
• 56K: 7.5 minutes
• DSL (128): 3.5 minutes
• Cable: 18 sec
PDFs require Adobe’s FREE Acrobat Reader.
Published by the Albany Visitors Association 250 Broadalbin SW #110 Albany OR 97321 541-928-0911 or 1-800-526-2256 www.albanyvisitors.com
“Oregon fever” broke out around 1840, when trains of covered wagons moved westward. The offer of free land brought many settlers. Between 1850-1855, the Donation Land Claim Act granted each white male citizen over the age of eighteen 320 acres of land if he was single and 640 acres of land if he was married. read more
The downtown commercial district of Albany began to grow soon after the founding of Albany in 1848. Shortly after the Monteith brothers moved into their new house on the edge of the present downtown, they opened a general store. Other businesses soon followed. read more
Begin the Downtown District Tour at the Monteith Riverfront Park at the foot of Washington and Water streets. The confluence of the Calapooia and Willamette rivers has played a vital part in the history of Albany. For hundreds of years the local Indians made their summer camp across the Calapooia on Bryant Island. read more
Federal, Gothic Revival, Classic Revival, French Second Empire, Italianate, Rural Vernacular, Stick and Eastlake Style, Colonial Revival, Queen Anne, American Renaissance, Craftsman, Bungalow, read more
The Hackleman District consists of about 28 city blocks on the east side of Albany. The first settler was Abner Hackleman, a farmer from Des Moines County, Iowa, who emigrated to Oregon by crossing the plains with ox teams in 1845. read more
Begin the Hackleman District Tour at the Historic District information gazebo at Ellsworth Street and Eighth Avenue. From the gazebo, proceed down Ellsworth to Ninth Avenue and turn left. As you follow Ninth Avenue to Lyon Street, look across and through the overpass to notice the Southern Pacific Railroad Depot and offices. read more
The Monteith District, located on the west side of downtown Albany, is named after Walter and Thomas Monteith, the founding fathers of Albany. After arriving in Oregon from New York in 1848, these two Scotsmen bought squatters rights to a claim held by Abner Hackleman and Hiram Smead for $400. read more
Begin the Monteith Tour by looking across Ellsworth Street from the gazebo to the St. Mary’s Catholic Church Rectory at 728 Ellsworth. This house was the second house built, c. 1905, to be a rectory for the church. It was moved to is present location in 1989, from the northwest corner of 9th and Ellsworth Streets. read more
Local list of events, including tours, holiday festivities, etc. Map of Albany noting landmarks, such as Two Rivers Market, Linn County Fair & Expo Center, Heritage Mall, etc. read more